With iOS 14, Apple added widgets to your iPhone home screen.With iOS 16, Apple wants to do the same with your lock screen. Owith this update, you can create multiple lock screens that you can browse at any time, and eEach lock screen can contain up to five different widgets: there’s a grid of four squares below the time and a text widget at the top. To check your options, press and hold on the lock screen, tap the “Personalize“, then tap a widget area to a list of all available widgets.
Apple has done a good job of arranging some basic widgets, but as always, third-party apps do the heavy lifting here. When lock screen widgets are limited (there is no option for colorful photos or media), there are already dozens of awesome apps that support Lock Sscreen widgets. Here are some of our favorite picks:
- Launcher: Use this popular app to create shortcuts that will perform actions, play music, and more without having to leave your lock screen.
- widgetsmith: This app spearheaded the customizable widget revolution in iOS 14. Now you can bring that revolution to your lock screen, with the ability to add widgets for weather, calendar, text and even the pictures.
- Screen kit: The app’s iOS 16 update includes more than 100 widgets specially designed for the lock screen. You can display the date, your Step count, weather, reminders and more on the lock screen, with preset shortcuts.
- Weather Carrot: This The weather app with its unique sense of humor has over 20 customizable lock screen widgets. These widgets will display weather, detailed forecasts, as well as fun updates.
- fickle: A great way to see live flight progress, countdowns and flight updates.
- Look for: The popular dictionary app can now display the word of the day on the lock screen.
- Motivation: Daily motivational quotes on your lock screen.
- Areas: Another app from the developer of LookUp brings customizable time zone widgets to the lock screen, allowing you to view the time in multiple places at once.
- Personal Best: If you like keeping track of your workouts, the Personal Best app now has lock screen widgets. The app will show you stats for recent workouts, heart rate activity, and more.
- Smart Gym: The app has a new weekly widget that shows you the whole week’s activity at a glance.
- WaterMinder: The popular water reminder app now has a lock screen widget, helping you stay on track with your water goals.
- Fast: This free app lets you add quick contact shortcuts to the lock screen, taking the concept of speed dial to a whole new level. It also supports messaging through third-party apps like WhatsApp, Telegram, and Signal.
- nice progress: A slight and “pretty one” way to add countdown timers to lock screen.
- sour: The popular third-party music player now has widgets to play your favorite mixes in rectangular and circular designs.
- Todoist: The popular task manager now lets you view your tasks from the lock screen. Similar apps like Things also added this feature.