Suspect confesses to fatal accident in crowd during performance, police say

The Saturday Suspect fatal vehicle collision with crowd in Pennsylvania said it was intentional and detailed a subsequent fatal attack on his mother, police said on Sunday.

Adrian Oswaldo Sura Reyes, 24, faces two open counts of criminal homicide following the death of an unidentified 50-year-old Wilkes-Barre woman who was in the crowd and the mother de Reyes, identified by the Luzerne County coroner as Rosa D. Reyes, 56.

In a criminal complaint filed on Sunday, Pennsylvania State Police investigators said defendant Reyes confessed to the two homicides – about 2 miles apart – after being told his right not to cooperate.

A soldier asked if he was aware of what happened outside a bar in Berwick where a vehicle hit 18 people early on Saturday.

“Yes, that was me,” the defendant reportedly said.

According to the complaint’s account, he confessed to Troopers Jason Zoshak and Andrew Morgantini, who interviewed Reyes at Shickshinny State Police Jail, that the frenzy began when he left after an argument with his mother. at home in Nescopeck.

He said he happened to be driving by a crowd gathered in a parking lot outside a bar and restaurant in Berwick called the Intoxicology Department, which was running a benefit for the families of those killed in a horrible house fire on August 5th.

Soldiers quote Reyes saying he was “accelerating” as the Honda Accord he was driving slammed into the crowd. He spoke about his state of mind at the moment, saying he was tired of arguing with his mother over money and other matters, according to the document.

“I didn’t crash into them,” Reyes reportedly said. “I just knocked them down.”

The defendant said he returned home to Nescopeck, across the Susquehanna River from Berwick, saw his mother in the street and sped into her, according to the complaint.

He got out of the vehicle, saw that she was unconscious, grabbed a hammer he knew was in the Honda and punched her four or five times, the complaint states.

Reyes was arrested after the Nescopeck incident. Both victims were pronounced dead at their respective scenes.

In Berwick, 17 other people were injured, five seriously, after the collision shortly after 6 p.m. outside the poison ward, hospital officials and police said.

People had gathered outside the venue, where attractions included a scheduled water balloon fight, a dunk tank, various vendors with blue awnings and a basket raffle, according to its social media accounts.

The establishment posted on Facebook that it was closed until further notice.

“Today was an absolute tragedy,” the post said. “Please respect our privacy as we grieve and try to process the events that have transpired.”

The criminal complaint did not answer reporters’ questions on Saturday about possible links between the defendant and the August 5 fire that inspired the benefit.

Reyes was denied bail and was being held at the Columbia County Correctional Facility, state police said Sunday.

Leave a Comment