Salman Rushdie: ‘The perpetrator’s road to recovery has begun,’ says officer, as stabbing suspect pleads not guilty

“He’s no longer on a ventilator, so the road to recovery has begun,” Rushdie’s agent Andrew Wylie told CNN on Sunday. “It will be a long time – the injuries are serious. But his condition is going in the right direction.”

The 75-year-old award-winning author — whose writings earned him decades of death threats – was preparing to give a talk at the Chautauqua institution on Friday when a man jumped onto the stage and stabbed Rushdie in multiple places, including in the neck and stomach.
Staff members and guests then rushed onto the stage and restrained the suspect, identified as Hadi Matar, 24, of Fairview, New Jersey, before a state trooper assigned to the event took him into custody, according to New State Police. York.

The author’s injuries include three stab wounds to the right side of the front of the neck, four stab wounds to the stomach, a puncture to the right eye and chest and a laceration to the right thigh, Chautauqua County District Attorney Jason Schmidt said Saturday. during Matar’s arraignment.

Rushdie was airlifted to hospital after the attack and underwent surgery, police said. The author may end up losing his right eye, Schmidt said.

The author started speaking again on Saturday after being put on a ventilator earlier, Wylie previously told the New York Timesadding that the attack left Rushdie with liver and nerve damage.

Another speaker at the event, Ralph Henry Reese, 73, suffered a minor head injury in the attack. He was taken to hospital in an ambulance and later released with a facial injury.

Hadi Matar, 24, arrives for arraignment at the Chautauqua County Courthouse in Mayville, New York on Saturday, August 13, 2022.

The suspect pleaded not guilty

Matar pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted second-degree murder and second-degree assault with intent to harm someone with a deadly weapon, his public defender, Nathaniel Barone, told CNN on Saturday.

The lawyer said Matar was “very cooperative” and communicated openly, but he did not discuss what was said during those conversations.

Matar was denied bail and returned to the Chautauqua County Jail. His next court appearance is Friday.

He faces up to 32 years if convicted on both counts, Schmidt said.

Salman Rushdie attack suspect pleads not guilty to attempted second-degree murder and assault, lawyer says

The FBI is currently working with local and international authorities to investigate the attack at the Chautauqua institution, which occurred in front of an audience as Rushdie was introduced.

A witness, Joyce Lussier, was sitting in the second row when she saw a man jump across the stage and lunge at Rushdie. She heard people screaming and crying, she told CNN, and saw people from the audience rushing onto the stage.

Another witness, Stephen Davies, who captured video of the moments immediately after Rushdie was attacked, said he could not tell if the assailant had a knife in his hand.

“He lunged at Mr. Rushdie and started hitting him with his hand, very quickly,” Davies said. “I was completely stunned and shocked.”

Authorities have not disclosed the specific type of weapon that was used in the attack.

The suspect had a pass for the event who is now facing questions about his security procedures

The suspect arrived in Chautauqua at least a day before the event and purchased an event pass two days prior, Schmidt said during Matar’s arraignment.

Matar traveled to Chautauqua by bus and had cash, prepaid Visa cards and fake IDs on him, said Schmidt, who called the stabbing a “targeted attack, pre -planned and unprovoked against Mr. Rushdie”.

Appalled, devastated and worried.  How the world is reacting to Salman Rushdie's attack

There were no security searches or metal detectors at the event, a person who witnessed the attack told CNN. The witness has not been identified because he expressed concerns for his personal safety.

This raised questions about safety precautions at the host facility.

The institution’s management had rejected recommendations for basic security measures, including bag checks and metal detectors, fearing it would drive a wedge between speakers and the public, according to two sources who spoke. to CNN on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. .

The institution’s president, Michael Hill, defended his organization’s security plans when asked at a press conference on Friday whether there would be more precautions at future events.

“We assess for each event what we think is the appropriate level of security, and this was certainly the one we thought was important, which is why we had a State Trooper and Sheriff presence there,” said Hill. “We will assess for each of the events at the facility what we believe is the appropriate level of security and this is an ongoing process that we are working on in conjunction with local law enforcement.”

Matar – who authorities say has no documented criminal history – was described as a quiet person who mostly kept to himself. CNN spoke exclusively to State of Fitness Boxing Club owner Desmond Boyle, who said Matar signed up at the gym in North Bergen, New Jersey, in April.

“You know that look, that ‘this is the worst day of your life’ look? It came on every day like that,” Boyle told CNN on Saturday.

As the investigation continued, police were seen Friday night at the New Jersey home believed to be linked to the suspect.

A view of Hadi Matar's home tower, as members of the FBI and local police forces are being searched, in Fairview, New Jersey, U.S., August 13, 2022.

Rushdie had a bounty on his head

Rushdie’s writings won him several literary awards, but it was his fourth novel, The Satanic Verses, that garnered the most attention as some Muslims found the book sacrilegious. The book, which sparked protests, has been banned in several countries.

Salman Rushdie looks back on post-colonial India 40 years after the release of

Iran’s late leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, who described the book as an insult to Islam and the Prophet Muhammad, issued a religious decree, or fatwa, calling for Rushdie’s death in 1989.

As a result, Rushdie began a decade under British protection.

The bounty against Rushdie was never lifted, although in 1998 the Iranian government sought to distance itself from the fatwa by pledging not to seek execution.

However, in 2017, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was asked if the “fatwa against Rushdie was still in effect”, and he confirmed that it was, saying: “The decree is the one that Imam Khomeini issued”.

CNN’s Kiely Westhoff, Andy Rose, Paul P. Murphy, Aya Elamroussi, Ray Sanchez, Christina Maxouris, Artemis Moshtaghian, Sara Smart, Samantha Beech and Liam Reilly contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment