Filming of a football match in Lancaster: a man killed, Yaqub Talib wanted

The shooting during the football game happened around 8:50 p.m. at Lancaster Community Park. The coach’s son was on the pitch at the time

LANCASTER, Texas — A man was fatally shot during an argument at a Saturday night youth football game in Lancaster, south of Dallas, police said in a press release.

Police identified the suspect as Yaqub Salik Talib, who was still wanted by authorities as of Sunday afternoon.

The shooting during the football game occurred around 8:50 p.m. at Lancaster Community Park at 1749 Jefferson Street in Lancaster, southeast Dallas County.

Police said responding officers were made aware of a “disagreement between the coaching staff and the officiating team”, according to a press release.

As the disagreement unfolded, the coaches got into a physical altercation and one of those involved in the fight fired a gun. A man was shot dead, police said.

He was taken to hospital, where he later died, according to the press release.

Although authorities have not officially released an identification, DEA Dragons youth team coaches told the WFAA that the victim was Mike Hickmon.

“We saw one of our coaches lying on the ground right there. It was tough,” Dragons president Mike Freeman said. “More than just a coach. A great dad, a great man, a great role model, a great mentor.”

Police have named Yaqub Talib as a suspect, but more information about his involvement in the shooting has not been released.

Talib is the brother of former NFL cornerback Aqib Talib. Both are coaches of the North Dallas United Bobcats, the other team playing at the time of the shootout.

Tevar Watson owns the team and was on another pitch cleaning up at the time of the shooting. He’s been friends with Hickmon for about a decade after the two played in a 9v9 adult soccer league.

“I think this is all nonsense, man. Yesterday was probably the worst day of my life man,” he said. “I lost a great guy. What we call a stand up guy, one of the guys who is there for his family.”

Watson said around 80 children were in the area when it happened.

“I held my son after that for 20 minutes while he cried because no child should have to see that,” he said.

Freeman said the argument started when Hickmon went to get a soccer ball and someone pushed him away. This led to fighting and eventually shooting.

Hickmon, 43, had been the team’s offensive coordinator for two years and made a name for himself playing at Maceo Smith High School and then the University of North Texas. Her son was one of the 9-year-olds on the ground at the time of the shooting.

“I held his son, Little Mike Jr, and I held him like my son, and it was very, very, very hard to hold him and comfort him because again – just to make him know we’ll be there for him,” Freeman said.

The team will start school on Monday, just two days after the shooting, and Freeman said they are trying to get counselors for the team.

“I am lost in words. I don’t know how to explain it to children. This is the part I’m stuck on right now. How can I explain to them. Why?” Freeman said. “It’s something these kids will remember for the rest of their lives. They will never forget that moment.”

Police were asking anyone with information about Talib’s whereabouts to call Detective Senad Deranjic at 972-218-2756.

“The only thing I want right now is just justice,” Freeman said. “That’s all.”

Leave a Comment