Banned San Diego Padres superstar Fernando Tatis Jr ‘feels remorse’ after being hit with a massive 80-game suspension on steroids… as ‘disappointed’ teammate Mike Clevinger says ‘it’s more than him right now “
- San Diego lost one of its most vital pieces after testing positive for steroids
- Fernando Tatis Jr. was suspended 80 games by Major League Baseball on Friday
- It was discovered that Tatis had traces of the performance enhancer, Clostebol, in his blood
- Some Padres players criticized the Dominican following the suspension
Banned MLB superstar Fernando Tatis Jr. is said to be “remorseful” after his 80-game suspension.
The San Diego shortstop spoke on the phone with Padres manager Bob Melvin on Saturday. The captain wouldn’t reveal much else about the “private conversation.”
Tatis was suspended on Friday after testing positive for Clostebol, a performance-enhancing anabolic steroid.
The shock suspension was announced by MLB moments before the Padres’ 10-5 victory over the Washington nationals Friday.
Despite the enormity of the ban and its impact on their season, Melvin neglected to discuss it with his players ahead of Saturday’s 4-3 loss at Washington.
Fernando Tatis Jr. was expected to return to play shortly, before shock suspension on Friday
On whether he wants Tatis to address his teammates, the skipper replied: “I don’t know where and when that would potentially happen, so I’m not sure at this point.”
Padres players were undoubtedly shocked by the ban, with some going so far as to criticize the charismatic All-Star.
Pitcher Mike Clevinger revealed he was “disappointed” with Tatis and hoped he would soon recognize “it’s not just about him right now”.
Tatis led the National League with 42 home runs last season.
The Dominican hadn’t played in 2022 after breaking his left wrist in the offseason, following a reported motorcycle accident.
Padres freshman skipper Bob Melvin still has San Diego chasing NL playoff spot
Padres general manager AJ Preller bolstered his roster ahead of the trade deadline earlier this month, adding hitters Juan Soto and Josh Bell from the Nationals, Josh Hader closer to the Milwaukee Brewers and infielder Brandon Drury of the Cincinnati Reds.
Melvin believes these new faces will help make Tatis’ absence for the rest of this season (as well as the start of next season) more manageable.
“We really like our team,” Melvin said. “If someone gets hurt on the way, we will always feel good in our team. So that’s kind of how you have to deal with Tatis’s situation.
An added element of this is that the uncertainty that once reigned over when Tatis could play in 2022 – and how that might affect the roster – has now disappeared.
“You weren’t really 100% sure how he was going to react once he got back and started playing,” Melvin said.
“There’s a finality to what we know we have here for the next one – what is it?” — about six weeks until the end of the season. And we like the group that we have.
Padres pitcher Mike Clevinger was less than impressed with the situation after the Tatis game on Friday